Ingredients for Chicken Patiala:
- Chicken -1 kg (2 lbs), large pieces with bones
For the Marination:
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 1.5 tsp
- Coriander Powder- 1 tsp
- Pepper Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Salt-2 tsp
- Ginger Garlic paste- 2 tsp
- Kasuri Methi Powder- 3/4 tsp (dried fenugreek powder)
- Whisked curd/ plain yogurt- 130 ml (6-7 tbsp)
- Green Cardamom- 3
- Cinnamon-2 small pieces
- Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
- Ginger, fine chopped- 2 tsp (12 gms)
- Garlic, fine chopped – 2 tsp ( 7-8 cloves)
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder- 1.5 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 4 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Onions chopped – 3 medium (225-250 gms)
- Tomato chopped(red ones)- 200 gms (2 large)
- Green Chillies, chopped- 2-3 nos
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fresh cream -3 tbsp
- Kasuri Methi powder- 1 tsp
- Oil- 5-6 tbsp
- Coriander leaves, chopped – 4 tbsp
- Salt to season- 1/2 tsp
To fry Onion & Capsicum:
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Onion petals- 50 gms (1 small onion)
- Capsicum- 70 gms ( 1 medium whole )
- Cashew paste – 14 cashews
- Turmeric powder- pinch (1/8 tsp)
- Red Chilli Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Salt- pinch
- Water- 2-3 tbsp
- Whisk the curd/ plain yogurt and set aside.
- Dry roast the Kasuri Methi (dried Fenugreek Leaves) on low heat for 30 secs and then set aside to cool. Crush it lightly with your hand.
- Marinate the chicken with the items specified. Set aside for 1 hour.
- Peel and fine chop the ginger, garlic and the onions.
- Also chop the green chillies and tomatoes.
- Make a paste of cashew nuts for use later. To do that, add the cashew nuts in a grinder and coarse grind it into a powder. Now add 3-4 tbsp water and grind it into a smooth paste.
- Peel & cut one small onion into petals. Also cut the capsicum into cubes.
- Chop the coriander leaves and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the whole garam masalas. Now add the cumin seeds, give a stir when it splutters and add the finely chopped ginger and garlic. Give a stir for 30 secs and then add the finely chopped onions.
- Fry on medium heat for 7-8 mins till light brown and then add the spice powders and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Give a mix and fry on medium low heat for 2 mins and then add the chopped tomatoes. Fry on medium heat for 4 mins till soft but not pulpy and then add 2 tbsp water and cook on high to medium heat for 1 min.
- Now add the marinated chicken, give a mix and fry on high heat for 2-3 mins.
- Add the chopped green chillies and give a mix.
- Reduce heat to low and cover & cook on low heat for 20 mins till chicken is tender. Switch off and set aside.
- In another pan, heat ghee.
- Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and when it splutters add the onion petals & capsicum (green peppers).
- Fry on medium heat for 2-3 mins and then add the cashew nut paste, 50 ml water, the spice powders and a pinch of salt. Give a mix for 30 secs.
- Add this entire mix into the chicken that’s cooked and set aside.
- Mix and cook for 2-3 mins on low heat till the cashew paste is cooked.
- Also add the fresh cream, garam masala powder, Kasuri Methi powder and chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix and simmer for 3-4 mins on low heat till oil separates.